In celebration of his 6th month anniversary, Trent at The Simple Dollar has announced a giveaway. You pick any one of his posts and write a short note about why it stood out for you, and you will be entered into a drawing for 1 of the 5 personal finance books he is giving away (more details here). Since TSD is a site that I like very much, I decided to take this opportunity to highlight some of the posts I liked the most. If you frequent TSD, you know there is a *lot* of good content out there, so to keep this write-up structured, I decided to focus on the “most inspiring” posts I liked.
- If I Could Do It All Over Again: Advising Myself At Age Eighteen: This was one of the first few posts that I came across on TSD and the one that really had me take notice. Most of the advice that the older folks give younger folks usually sounds very condescending. But, in this post Trent offers a lot of good advice, but when presented as advice to himself at age eighteen, it sounds anything but condescending. I really liked both the content and the style of this post.
- The Road To Financial Armageddon: While the previous one had me interested, this one had me hooked. In this 10-part series, Trent is brutally honest about the financial mistakes that almost led him to bankruptcy, followed by his realization of how bad the situation is and the road to recovery. It is a highly emotional post, which makes it that much more inspiring.
- The One Month Challenge: Big money mistakes are easy to catch, but it is very difficult to realize the little leaks that drain your finances. In this post Trent shares his experiment to discover the leaks in his financial situation and throws the challenge out to the public. I have been amazed time and time again reading testimonials on other blogs of how they took the challenge and how much it has helped them!
- 31 Days To Fix Your Finances: So, once you know your mistakes and want to fix things, how do you go about it? Well, in this series (with 31 articles!) Trent shares some really good tips for fixing your finances. It is a must read!
- Building a Better Blog for 2007: I know most personal finance bloggers frown upon those that write about blogging since it has nothing really to do with personal finance. But Trent sticks out his neck in this series (again, with 31 articles!) and shares some of the tips and lessons he learnt about building a successful blog. To me, this series is very inspiring, and every now and then, when I start to lose my passion about blogging, I return to this series. Not only does it have a lot of great tips, it is vibrant with the passion that he feels about blogging and that kind of passion is quite infectious 🙂
Well, I hope you enjoyed that list. If you are a frequent visitor at TSD, go ahead, make your own list. If not, I can bet you that after reading the articles listed above, you will become one 🙂